Fire Prevention


The Rural City of Wangaratta is prone to bushfires. As a result, there are restrictions around when and what you can burn off.

Protecting your home against bushfires

One of the best ways to prepare your property for fire season is removing fuel and vegetation.  This is really important for residential homes, and commercial and industrial allotments. Find out how to best prepare your home.

If you live in an area prone to bush or grassfires, you should have a Bushfire Survival Plan. Your plan should include detail the risk posed by fire to your property and information on leaving early on days of high fire danger. CFA provide advice on developing a suitable Bushfire Survival Plan.

Avoiding fires in your home

There are over 3,000 house fires each year in Victoria and they are almost all preventable. Working smoke alarms, checking appliances for damage and wear, and ensuring fire places are well maintained can help to protect your home from fire.  Find out how to prevent fire in your home.

Your obligations

During the declared fire season, usually October to March, our Municipal Fire Prevention Officer (MFPO) conducts inspections across the townships of Wangaratta, including Glenrowan, Whitfield and Eldorado. 

It is your responsibility to ensure that your property is fire ready. If a fire hazard is identified, you will receive a Fire Prevention Notice outlining what you need to do to make it fire safe. Your property will be re-inspected to ensure the fire hazard has been removed.  

If you do not comply, you may be fined and pay any costs we incur for works such as slashing or vegetation removal. The minimum penalty for non-compliance is over $1,800.


To report a fire issue or request a permit to burn off, please choose from the options below. 

Report a fire hazard

To alert council of a fire hazard such as long grass, click the button below.

Report now

Report open air burning off

Report a burn off using the below button. 

Report now

Request a permit to burn off

Burning off in a residential area

  • Restrictions exist year round in township areas. This means you can only burn off outside the Fire Danger Period and you must obtain a permit. The application fee for a permit is $76.50.

Burning off in a rural or agricultural area

  • If you are burning off outside of a declared Fire Danger Period, you do not need a permit.
  • Burning during the Fire Danger Period is permitted in rural or agricultural areas, however you must obtain a permit from the CFA via Fire Permits Victoria.

Find out more about restrictions during a fire danger period.

Burn off conditions

The following conditions apply when burning off:

  • Fire to be supervised by an adult at all times.
  • Notify Fire Permits Victoria a minimum 2 hours prior to lighting fire online at
  • Adequate water supply/hose to be ready for use at all times to extinguish fire.
  • Burn off hours between 8am and 4pm on any given day.
  • Fire is to be extinguished prior to leaving site (must not smolder overnight).
  • Notify adjacent neighbours prior to lighting fire.
  • Only burn dry combustible materials.
  • Cleared fire break of a minimum of 3 metres all around.
  • The matter being burnt does not exceed 3 cubic meters.

Materials not for burning

Regardless of whether you have a permit, you are not allowed to burn the following items:

  • Plastic
  • Waste petroleum oil 
  • Paints or empty paint containers
  • Pressurised cans
  • Textile fabrics
  • Rubber
  • Food waste
  • Illegal substances
  • Noxious materials


Apply for permit



If your request does not fit any of the above categories, submit a general request using the button below.

General request