Septic tanks

If you are considering installing or altering a wastewater management system (septic tanks) on your property, you need to apply for a permit. 

Not everyone has access to main sewer and therefore you will need to install a septic system to gather and treat your wastewater. Generally septic systems are used in rural areas where main sewer is not available.

Choose the right septic system for your property

You should choose a septic system suitable for your property and the surrounding area. There are a number of different types of septic systems available and you need to ensure you get the right system for your land and type of development.

You should have a qualified onsite wastewater consultant or plumber assess your property before you apply to install or alter your septic system.

Things you will need before you apply

A Land Capability Assessment

Most properties need an evaluation and report by a qualified land capability assessor. The report will check the capacity of your land to absorb treated wastewater onsite.

A land capability assessor is a qualified soil scientist or hydrogeologist. We do not endorse one type of septic system over another.

For further information please contact our Environmental Health team on 03 5722 0888 or

Provide a Site Plan

You must provide a site plan with your septic application form. Your site plan must show:

  • The proposed dwelling and ancillary buildings/structures
  • Septic system location
  • Land Application Area
  • Nearby water bodies and retarding basins

Provide a floor plan

You must also provide a floor plan of the dwelling, including an existing floor plan/new floor plan for dwelling additions.

How to apply

To apply for a permit to install or alter a septic system, you or your plumber must complete and provide:

Applicable Fees

 Application to Install a Septic System


 Application to Alter a Septic System


 Transfer a Septic Permit


 Report & Consent Assessment


 Copy of a Septic Permit


 Additional Inspections


What happens next?

  • Once we have received the required documentation and the fee has been paid, we will contact you within 5 business days to arrange an on-site inspection of the property.
  • If we require further information or need you to alter your plans, we will advise you of any alterations that need to be made at this time.
  • Once we are satisfied that your proposed system is suitable, you will be issued with a Permit to Install a Septic System via email.

Before you can use your septic system

Before you can use your system:

  • You must provide Council with a Compliance Certificate and ‘as-laid’ plan from your plumber that ensures all works comply with relevant standards and regulations.
  • We will conduct a final inspection of the installation to make sure it meets the criteria of the permit.
  • If your system passes the inspection, we will issue a Permit to Use the System via email. You can then begin to use your septic system.