Waste Services

Choose from the options below to let us know if there’s a problem with your bins, or with rubbish in public spaces.

Please note: 

  • Garbage and recycling are compulsory services for rural and urban areas. However you can request to increase the number of bins at your property or upsize your garbage service to a 240L bin or your recycling bin to a 360L bin.
  • Organics is a compulsory service for urban areas however you can request to increase the number of bins at your property. 
  • Urban areas include Wangaratta, Glenrowan, Hamilton Park, Milawa and Oxley.

Request cancellation of a service

A request to cancel a collection service or apply for a waste fee exemption can be considered by Council in accordance with the Rural City of Wangaratta Waste Charge Policy(PDF, 135KB)

Residents should review this document prior to applying to understand the circumstances under which a cancellation will be considered by Council.

To ensure your cancellation request is promptly processed you need to

  1. Review the Waste Charge Policy(PDF, 135KB) document to gain an understanding of the circumstances under which a cancellation will be considered by Council.
  2. Make a request by select the button below.

Cancel service

Request a new bin, upsize or downsize bin

Property owners and landlords of residential and commercial properties can submit applications for bin collection services to a new property or upsize/downsize a service on an existing property.

Please note that: 

  • Only owners, landlords or approved property managers can submit application.
  • Residents renting will need to contact owners, landlords or property managers to submit application on their behalf.

Request now

Report a damaged or stolen bin

Damaged Bins

To allow time for the repair of your damaged bin, you will need to: 

  1. Complete and submit a request via the button below
  2. Ensure the bin is empty
  3. Once your bin has been emptied on your scheduled collection day, please leave the empty damaged bin on the nature strip.

The bin will be repaired/replaced within 5 working days – if this does not occur, please contact Rural City of Wangaratta.

Stolen Bins 

You can submit a request to replace a missing or stolen bin. Your replacement bin will be the same size as the bin that's registered to your property. 

Report now


Report a missed bin collection

Reports of a missed bin collection should be reported no later than 2 working days after the missed collection to ensure that cause can be investigated and verified.

Council officers have real time access to CCTV and GPS tracking of kerbside trucks, enabling cause of missed collections to be investigated promptly.

Please note that:

  • You cannot order an extra collection or ask for the truck to return if you did not have your bins ready for collection prior to 6am on day of scheduled collection.
  • Bins exceeding 75kg in weight and/or are overfilled (i.e. lid open) may not be collected due to risks posed to vehicles and public amenity (littering).

To allow your missed bin collection request to be investigated and verified you will need to:

  1. Report a Missed Bin Collection or contact Rural City of Wangaratta direct on (03) 5722 0888
  2. Leave the bin out on the nature strip
  3. Allow 2 working days for the waste truck to return

Report now

Report public littering or dumping

Rural City of Wangaratta encourages residents to report any identified occurrences of littering or illegal dumping. All reported events will be investigated by Council officers. 

Report now

Report a public place bin issue

Rural City of Wangaratta provide public place waste services throughout many public areas, facilities, and reserves throughout the municipality. Residents are encouraged to report issues relating to overfilled, damaged, or missing public place bins.  

Report now




If your request does not fit any of the above categories, submit a general request regarding waste services here.

General request