Home Care Packages (HCP) provide older Australians with affordable care services to help them continue to live in their own home. They are designed for those who need more help than what the Commonwealth Home Support Programme can provide.
You may be eligible if you are an older person who needs coordinated services to help you to stay living at home.
To access these services, you need to be approved and assessed as eligible by My Aged Care.
You can check your eligibility and apply for services by calling 1800 200 422 or you can apply online.
Once you are approved, there may still be a wait period before a Home Care Package can become available. Those with higher or more urgent needs are prioritised to receive services.
Types of packages
There are 4 levels of Home Care Package that assist people with either low level or high level care needs, including dementia specific services. The support provided depends on the actual package level.
- Level 1 - Support for people with basic care and support needs
- Level 2 - Support for people with basic care and support needs
- Level 3 - Support for people with mid-level care and support needs
- Level 4 - Support for people with high level care and support needs
Depending on your needs, there are a range of services which may be included in your package.
Services to keep you well and independent
There are a range of services to help keep you well and independent:
- Personal care to help maintain your personal hygiene and grooming standards
- Nursing services to help you treat and monitor medical conditions
- Allied health and therapy services such as speech therapy, podiatry, occupational or physiotherapy services
- Food and nutrition services to help you eat well
- Specialised support to help you manage particular conditions and maximise your independence
Services to keep you safe at home
We offer a range of services to keep you safe at home:
- Cleaning and home maintenance services to keep your home clean and liveable
- Minor home modifications to increase or maintain your ability to move safely around your home
- Goods, equipment and assistive technology to help with mobility, communication and reading
Services to keep you connected to your community
We provide a range services to keep you connected to your community:
- Transport services to help you get to appointments and activities
- Social support services to encourage you to participate in social and community activities
The packages are delivered under a consumer directed care (CDC) model. This means you are actively involved in deciding care and services to support you living safely and independently.
We offer two types of CDC management packages:
- Full case management: You are fully supported by your Case Manager to manage your package
- Self directed case management: You receive less Case Manager support and take more responsibility to manage your package.
Case Managers will work with you and your family/carer to develop and implement individualised care plans best suited to your needs. The amount of support and contact that you have with your Case Manager will be determined by you.
Your financial situation won’t affect your eligibility. But you will need a financial assessment to work out exactly how much you may be asked to contribute.
You can find out more information from My Aged Care on costs and fees. You can also get an estimate of what your home care fees are using the home care fee estimator.
Home care fee estimator