Roadside conservation

Our roadside vegetation is home to native trees, shrubs and grasses. Some of these are threatened species.  They also provide a place for native animals to live and allow them to move safety to other areas of vegetation. Without this, animals can become isolated and are not able to migrate to search for food and other areas to live.  

We are committed to protect, maintain and enhance native vegetation alongside our roads. We work with landholders who have land next to roads to manage pest plants and animals. 


Roadside Weed and Pest Program Fact Sheet(PDF, 794KB)

Controlled burning on roadsides

At times, we need to do controlled burning to reduce fuel on identified roadside reserves. This will help to decrease the fire risk and keep our community safe.

Clearing roadsides of vegetation is generally not a solution. Often that can increase fire risk because fast growing exotic species can invade the area and create a higher fuel load.

The CFA selects the roads for controlled burning. This is based on strategic fire breaks, identified fire risk, and the risk and control of biodiversity impacts. This occurs in consultation with the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning and ourselves.


Do I need a permit to clear native vegetation along fence lines?

You may need a planning permit from Council to remove native vegetation, including trees, shrubs and grasses. Please contact our planning department to discuss what you wish to do. They can advise you on the application process. 

P: 03 5722 0888

Do I need Council’s permission to spray weeds on my roadside?

No. Weed spraying is permitted, provided it is carried out in compliance with all other legislation. Weed spraying must be planned to avoid loss of native vegetation. All persons undertaking roadside weed spraying must hold appropriate qualifications such as an Agricultural Chemical Users Permit. 

Do I need permission or a permit for other works on my roadside?

Yes. We are required to regulate activities on roadsides to protect public safety.  Some activities on roadsides require the consent of the road authority to prevent degradation of the road itself or risk to the road users.

A ‘Works on Road Reserve’ permit is needed for ploughing, cropping or haymaking adjacent to council roads due to the equipment used.

Do I need a permit to collect firewood from roadsides?

Firewood collection is only permitted on Council managed roadsides with a low conservation value except in exceptional circumstances. You’ll need to purchase a Firewood Collection permit from our Customer Service team.

Do I need a permit for roadside grazing or to move livestock on a road?

A permit is required for roadside grazing. Grazing is not generally allowed on High Conservation Value roadsides to protect the habitat of many animals and birds. You can find out more information on roadside grazing here

You do not need a permit to move your stock along roadsides. However you can only do this during daylight hours. Find out more about droving and movement of livestock.