The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) provides entry level support services to seniors to help them to stay living independently and safely at home.
There are a range of services available including meals services, home support and allied health services.
To be eligible for this program, you must be aged:
- 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people)
- 50 years or older (45 years or older for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) and on a low income, homeless, or at risk of being homeless
To access these services, you need to be assessed and approved as eligible by My Aged Care. This assessment is free.
Once you are approved, the waiting period will depend on the availability of services. Those with higher or more urgent needs are prioritised to receive services.
Types of services we can provide
Community & home support services
There are a range of community and home support services to help keep you well, independent and feeling connected with your community
- Domestic assistance
- Personal care
- Home maintenance
- Home modification
- Nursing care
- Flexible respite
- Social support
Food & meal services
We offer a range of food and meal services to keep you healthy and well fed!
- Providing meals at a community centre
- Helping with shopping for food
- Help with making meals and storing food in your home
- Assistance with learning to cook
- Delivering meals to your home.
Allied health services
We provide a range of health and therapy services to keep you healthy and help you maintain your independence.
- Speech pathology
- Occupational therapy
- Advice from a dietician
- Respite care to care for you while your carer takes a break
This program is subsidised by the government however you will still need to contribute towards the cost. The amount you need to contribute depends on your income.
You can see the income brackets and associated rates below. We will talk to you about any costs before we start providing services.
These income ranges are based on the Centrelink income test for pensioners and are for gross income only.
||$39,089 - $86,208
||$59,802 - $115,245
|Family (1 child)*
||$66,009 - $118,546
* Families with more than one child should add $6,195 per child to their income.
All rates are quoted per hour.
|| Low income
|Personal care & social support
$13.10 plus cost of materials
| $19.60 plus cost of materials
|| $51.70 plus cost of materials
| Home modification
||$13.10 plus cost of materials over $250
||$19.60 plus cost of materials over $250
||$51/70 plus cost of materials over $250
Note: These fees are not applicable to agencies. Please refer to our Full Cost Recovery Schedule of Rates.(PDF, 114KB)