Planning for a sustainable future
Published on 25 February 2021
Community members can now have their say on Council’s Draft Environmental Sustainability Strategy.
The draft strategy was endorsed for public consultation at Tuesday night’s Ordinary Council Meeting, with public comments invited until Monday, 12 April 2021.
Mayor Dean Rees said the draft strategy proposed achievable actions to address the rising challenges of unsustainable resource use, pest plants and animals, changes to land use, ongoing loss of habitat, water resource availability, soil health issues, adverse weather events and climate change.
“This is a plan for a healthy, resilient and green future for our municipality,” he said
“This is a vision and action plan for the next five years to ensure sustainable social and economic prosperity for the Rural City of Wangaratta.
“We have engaged with community groups and partner organisations and now is the time for the broader public to have their input.”
To assist with community consultation there will be several in-person engagement sessions. Community members can also download the draft strategy from Council’s website www.wangaratta.vic.gov.au.
View the document and make a submission via our Public Notices page
- Wednesday 3 March from 2-5pm @ Wangaratta Library Foyer
- Saturday 20 March from 8am - 12 noon @ Moyhu Country Market
- Sunday 21 March from 2-4pm @ Autumn Food Swap Event, Cheshunt Memorial Hall
- Wednesday 24 March from 10am -1pm @ Wangaratta Library Foyer
- Thursday 8 April from 3-6.30pm @ Council Chambers, Wangaratta Government Centre