Skip to content Skip to navigation

Swimming Pools

A building permit is required for the construction of all safety barriers and all types of pools and spas capable of holding more than 300mm depth of water.

A permit is also required if you are installing new or altering any part of an existing swimming pool safety barrier.

New Swimming Pool and Spa Registration and Inspection Requirements

On 1 December 2019, new laws to improve swimming pool and spa safety came into effect in Victoria.  They introduced new registration, inspection and certification requirements for property owners.  As part of the changes, owners are now required to register their pool and spa with their local council and have their safety barrier inspected once every four years.

Application for registration of Swimming Pool and Spa can be found here.

Application for inspections of Swimming Pools and Spa can be found here.

For more information regarding the changes to the regulations, visit Victorian Building Authority website

What is a Swimming Pool or Spa?

A swimming pool or spa is any excavation or structure capable of containing a depth of water greater than 300mm and used principally for swimming, wading, paddling, or the like.  This includes any inflatable or temporary swimming pools or a spa (even if it has a lockable cover).

Safety barriers are not required for bird baths, fish ponds, fountains, dams and water storage tanks, however the owner has a duty of care to ensure these are safe.

Maintaining your Safety Barrier

As an owner of a swimming pool or spa, you are responsible for taking all reasonable steps to ensure any fence or barrier restricting access to a swimming pool or spa is maintained and operating effectively.  A maintenance checklist (also available as a Mobile app) is available from Royal Life Saving Australia.

We also provide a non-mandatory pool compliance service.  At your request, we can arrange for a registered Building Inspector to attend your property and ensure the compliance of your swimming pool safety barrier.  Once this is completed and compliant, we can issue a Swimming Pool Certificate of Compliance.  The fee for this service can be found in the Building Department fee schedule.

Useful Links

Back to top