Skip to content Skip to navigation

Planning Permit Process

If you’re not sure whether you need a planning permit, you can make an appointment with the Council to discuss your proposal.

We can help you to ensure you are meeting your permit requirements and avoid any delays in your application.

Planning pre-application advice

The Planning Unit has a pre-lodgement meeting service to provide valuable pre-application advice. It provides the opportunity for applicants to receive guidance and direction on a proposal and for issues to be identified at an early stage. 

We offer a variety of planning pre-application advice services to help you understand the planning process and what information may be needed for your proposal.

For advice on minor proposals 

You can drop in or phone us during business hours to ask for advice on minor proposals including:
•    Small scale extensions/outbuildings to dwellings or commercial buildings
•    Small scale works such as fences, solar panels and alterations
•    Some changes of use 
•    Signage proposals of a modest nature
•    Two lot subdivisions (without development)

For advice on larger proposals

For larger proposals of a complex nature, it is recommended that you request a pre-application meeting with a planner to discuss the proposal. 
A pre-application meeting helps you to:
•    Identify any planning issues prior to lodging an application
•    Understand the information you need to include in your planning application

Get accurate advice early in the process, which helps the application process to be smooth and efficient

How to Prepare

The following information will assist in gaining a better understanding of the proposal.

In the event that development plans and written documentation is not submitted prior to the meeting, this will limit the advice we can give you during the appointment.

What to bring to your meeting

•    Preliminary plans that show the proposed development and/or use, this may include a site plan and other relevant plans such as elevation plans, floor plans etc. 

•    A written submission detailing the proposal, this may include information such as how your proposal respects the site and the surrounding area and how the design considers the site constraints

Obtain a current copy of the Certificate of Title for the land, this will assist in identifying restrictions on the land. To do this you can visit LANDATA and perform an online title search

Additional research you can do prior to your meeting

•    Check the zoning information and overlays for your property  
•    Look at the Wangaratta Planning Scheme including planning policies that may affect your application

Booking your meeting

For pre-application advice, we have planners on duty each day to assist with your enquiries. 

Pre-Application appointments are up to 60 minutes and are available at allocated times Monday to Friday between 9.00am-12.00pm & 1.30pm -3.30pm.  
To book a pre-application meeting complete the planning pre-application meeting request form [insert link to form]. You will need to provide a location/site plan, brief description of the proposal, plans or sketches of the proposal

Please call 03 5722 0888 to arrange a Pre-Application Meeting appointment with one of our planners or email your request by submitting the Pre-Application Advice Request and all supporting documents:

In Person:    Governance Centre, 62-68 Ovens Street, Wangaratta

Next Step

You can contact us if you have any follow-up questions or if you wish to submit revised plans for consideration before lodging your application.


Prepare and submit

You can prepare your planning permit application on your own or with professional advice. We can help with providing advice about the information you'll require to submit your application. It is essential that you include all the relevant information. 

The information you need to include will vary; however, you must generally include:

  •             An application for a planning permit form
  •             A lodgement fee
  •             A description of the works you seek a permit to begin
  •             Estimated cost of the works
  •             A copy of current Certificate of Title (within three months)
  •             Copies of proposed plans

After you have submitted your application, we will communicate with you to acknowledge receipt.


Once the planning permit application is received, we may ask you clarifying questions or request further information. If we have all the information we need, we may refer your request to external agencies, known as referral authorities. If this is the case, the referral authority will have 28 days to respond to our referral request. 

If the information submitted with the application is inadequate or if some of the required information is missing, we will ask you to provide further information. If the requested information is not provided by the specified date, the application will lapse. An application that has lapsed cannot be recommenced and a new application must be lodged. To receive an extension to allow you to seek additional information, you must apply to the Council before the lapse date.

Public Notice and Advertising Planning Applications

Under Section 52 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987, planning applications are advertised where a proposal may cause detriment. In some instances, your planning application will require notification to adjoining properties and this will involve sending notices to adjoining properties.  Advertising a planning permit application is often referred to as ‘giving notice’.

The notification period is generally for a minimum 14 days. Additional fees apply for this service.

Submissions that are received in response to advertising are commonly referred to as objections.


A decision can be made on the planning permit application after all of the other processes, including notifying referral authorities and adjoining properties, is complete. All decisions are subject to appeal rights and these vary depending on the decision that has been made. All appeals are made through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).

A decision should be made within 60 statutory days. You then have a right of review by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for failure to decide.

Back to top