Railway Precinct Enhancement Project
A $6.038m contract has been awarded to Excell Gray Bruni to construct the Railway Precinct Enhancement Project.
Timelines: February 2020 onwards
- Create a welcoming gateway to Wangaratta for visitors and locals travelling by rail.
- The project is expected to deliver economic benefits to the immediate area and wider municipality by activating the precinct for private investment and creating a place people want to spend their time.
- The project will also make it easier to walk and ride through the precinct by shifting the priority away from vehicles and creating green, shaded pedestrian links.
- Streetscape upgrades for sections of Cusack, Docker and Norton Streets
- Installation of pedestrian crossings, bike lanes, and wider pathways
- Major new plantings throughout the precinct, creating shaded, cooler area
- Promenade and forecourt arrival plaza in Norton Street
- Creation of a public space in Docker Street at Wangaratta Library
- New bus shelters in Norton and Docker streets
- Removal of overhead powerlines in Docker Street
- Four public art installations
Some $2.5m in State Government funding has been received for the project, with the remainder coming from Council.