Skip to content Skip to navigation

Report and Consent

A report and consent is the process for consulting with and obtaining the approval of a reporting authority when planned work may affect community assets.

Examples include building over an easement of installing or altering a septic tank system. See Victorian Building Authority website for more information.



When applying for report & consent, please ensure you provide a supporting argument as to why you are requesting the change. These may include restrictions to the property or the building design that do not allow siting to comply such as the shape or slope of the allotment, height of the building or positioning of a window. Further information can be found in the relevant report & consent appendix including an extract of the regulation and the decision guidelines.

Some of the regulations require additional information such as adjacent owner's comments or referrals to other agencies. The application form lists these requirements against the applicable regulation.

Please refer to the relevant appendix to assist you with your application.

Building over an easement

Consent is required to build over an easement. There are many different types of easement and permission should be sought from the relevant authority, your title will show any easements on your property including details of the relevant authority.

Demolition consent

Back to top