Skip to content Skip to navigation

Registering My Pet

Dogs and cats older than 3 months of age must be registered to the municipality of residence.

While this is law, it is also highly helpful for the pet owner, so that if your precious animal is lost, Council can help re-unite you with it.

Cat & Dog Registration Fees 2020

Whole Cat $132.00 Whole Dog $132.00
Neutered Cat $44.00 Neutered Dog $44.00
Cat Over 10 Years $44.00 Dog Over 10 Years $44.00
Breeding Cat kept at licensed premises $44.00 Working Dog $44.00
Registered Cat with approved organisation* $44.00 Breeding Dog kept at licensed premises $44.00
    Registered Dog with approved organisation* $44.00
Excess Animal Application $50.00


* Animals registered with approved organisations 
The following organisations are approved organisations under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 until 30 September 2021: Dogs Victoria, Australian National Cats Inc., Feline Control Council of Victoria Inc., The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.

Animals registered with an approved organisation may be eligible for reduced registration fees, conditional on the Animal’s Registered Owner maintaining current membership with the applicable approved organisation. Proof of membership must be provided to Council each year with your animal’s registration renewal notice.

Pensioners: If you are the holder of a Pension Concession Card, Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card —
War Widow (WW), or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card — Totally & Permanently
Incapacitated (TPI), you may be eligible for a 50% discount on your animal registration fee(s)
upon presentation of your card. 

Registration tags

Once registered, you must ensure your dog or cat wears it’s Council issued registration identification tag when it leaves the property.  If a registered dog or cat is found outside of the owner's premises without a registration tag it is difficult for Council to return your animal and you may be liable for a penalty.

For any enquiries please contact Council's Customer Service on (03) 5722 0888 or email

Excess animals

A permit is required if you wish to keep more than two dogs or two cats in a residential area.

Before issuing a permit, Council will first inspect the premises where the animals are to be kept to ensure that they will not create a nuisance to any other person.

Download the application for an excess animal permit below or contact Community Compliance on 5722 0888 if you would like further information on Excess Animal Permit Applications.

Renew your existing pet registration

Dog cat registration renewal forms are sent to animal owners in March each year and registrations must be renewed by 10 April annually. 

If all details on your renewal notice are correct and you do not have a new animal to register, payment can be made:

  • Pay online
  • at any Post Office (present the notice intact)
  • with a credit card payment over the phone via 5722 0888
  • in person at the Wangaratta Government Centre
  • by mail or Bpay - see back of renewal notice

If any of the information on the renewal notice is incorrect:

Do not pay at a Post Office or via Bpay.

Please correct the notice and return with relevant payment to the Rural City of Wangaratta.  Corrected notices can be returned in person at Council Offices, by mail to PO Box 238 Wangaratta Vic 3676 or via email   

Transferring pet ownership

An application for a Domestic Animal Transfer of Ownership form must be completed and signed by the previous animal owner and new animal owner.

You must also contact the relevant microchipping registry to update the details of ownership on your microchip.

Download the application form below.

For any enquiries please contact Council's Customer Service on (03) 5722 0888 or email

Dangerous/Guard Dogs

When registering a dangerous dog or guard dog it is important to reference the below information:

Information on Guard Dogs 

Preventing Attacks in the Home

Preventing Attacks in the Community

If your pet has passed away or left the municipality

Council will contact registered animal owners prior to 10 April each year, to renew their animal registrations. Please let us know if your cat or dog has passed away or left the municipality. This will ensure Council does not send you an unnecessary registration renewal notice, or issue you an infringement notice for failing to renew your animal's registration.


Please use this form to notify Council if your pet has passed away or left the municipality.

Back to top