Over the last few years, a number of new laws controlling tobacco have come into effect in Victoria. These laws include:
- A ban on the display of tobacco products at point-of-sale with an exemption for certified 'specialist tobacconists'
- Smoking bans in a motor vehicle if a person under the age of 18 years is present
- A ban on the sale of tobacco products from temporary outlets
- A power for the Minister of Health to ban the sale of certain tobacco products and packaging that appeal to young people, and
- Amendments to penalties and enforcement provisions.
These laws have been put in place to help keep the Victorian community free from tobacco-related illnesses. The Council's Environmental Health Department is responsible for ensuring that all premises within the Rural City of Wangaratta are compliant with these laws.