Skip to content Skip to navigation


A permit is required for the grazing of livestock on roadsides.

Individual conditions are issued with every permit. Conditions include requirements informed by Council’s Roadside Management Strategy to protect significant habitats and reduce the spread of noxious weeds.

A $51.00 permit application fee applies. Payment of cash, cheque or credit card can be made in person at Council Offices, or by mailing a Cheque or Money Order to the Rural City of Wangaratta, PO Box 238 Wangaratta 3676. Credit card payments may also be made via phone to our Customer Services team on (03) 5722 0888.

Download the application form here, or call our Community Compliance Unit on 5722 0888 if you would like to discuss Livestock Grazing Requirements in our municipality.


Droving of Livestock

A number of farmers in the Rural City of Wangaratta drove livestock at various parts of the year. 

Residents are urged to contact Council prior to droving livestock to ensure the area they are wanting to drove is suitable.  For further information on droving livestock please contact Council's Community Compliance Officer on (03) 5722 0888 or email

Movement of Livestock

Movement of livestock does using the road reserve does not require a permit when it is done in daylight hours (and at not less than one km/hr). Movement of livestock means moving stock between adjoining or adjacent properties. While a permit is not required, anyone moving livestock must adhere to the requirements of Local Law Policy LLP30 - Movement of Livestock. 

It is also recommended you read the VicRoads Manual for Traffic Control at Stock Crossings, which provides guidance about the correct signage.


Back to top