Skip to content Skip to navigation

Animal Infringements

Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 and Rural City of Wangaratta Local Law No 1 Council has the authority to issue infringement notices (fines) to pet owners for a variety of offences, including having an unregistered pet, or an animal at large.

If you are issued with an infringement you have the following options:


Pay your infringement

Payments can be made through Council's Online Payment Portal.

Payments of cash, cheque or credit card can be made in person at Council Offices, or by mailing a Cheque or Money Order to the Rural City of Wangaratta, PO Box 238 Wangaratta 3676. Credit card payments may also be made via phone to our Customer Services team on (03) 5722 0888.

You can also apply for a payment arrangement for your animal infringement. See below to download the form.


Contest your infringement

If you believe your infringement should be withdrawn you can:

- Appeal your infringement with Council

Download the application form and important information about infringement appeals below.

- Elect to have your infringement heard in Court

Please notify Council if you would like to dispute your infringement before a magistrate. You will receive a summons advising the date, time and place of your hearing. If your appeal is successful the fine will be dropped however if you are unsuccessful you will be liable for the fine, plus additional court and Council costs.

Your rights

For more information about your legal rights and responsibilities as a pet owner, you can order a free copy of the booklet Dog, cats, neighbours and you from Victoria Legal Aid or view the publication online. This booklet explains the responsibilities of pet owners in Victoria and the rights of neighbours.

Back to top