Planning an Event
Thank you for considering the Rural City of Wangaratta to host your next event or festival.
We have some amazing venues and locations for your event and our events team is ready to assist you in making your event the best possible. Please ensure that your application has been approved before advertising your event.
Events generally fit into one of these 4 different categories. If you are unsure, please feel free to discuss options with the events team on 5722 0888, or you can see a more detailed event matrix by clicking here.
- Public Gathering – a gathering of less than 100 people in attendance, for example a wedding or birthday party. This may include up to one “additional item” such as a jumping castle, food vendor or marquee. Public Gatherings do not need a permit, however you do need to register your gathering with Council Customer Service team. There are two steps, the first is to contact the Council customer service team on 5722 0888 and check availablilty of the space you require. Secondly, fill out the Public Gathering Request Form - Click here: Link to Public Gathering Form
Low, Medium and High Impact Events do require a permit. These permits are issued with Standard Conditions which may be viewed here.
- Low Impact Event – an event with up 100 – 500 people in attendance with a small amount of infrastructure and little risk. A low impact event requires an event permit. Click here: Low risk event application form - PDF
- Medium Impact Event – an event of 500 – 3000 people in attendance with a moderate amount of infrastructure and little risk. Click here to apply: Medium-High event application form - PDF
- High Impact Event – an event of over 3000 people with large infrastructure and impacted traffic management or high risk activities. Smaller events that may include high risk activities, for example; fireworks or extensive road closures may also be categorised as a high impact event. Click here to apply: Medium-High event application form - PDF
We are here to help….to make planning your event even easier, please find below risk templates, fact sheets & site plans to assist.
- Alcohol at Events
- Amusement Rides
- Audience Welfare
- BBQs and Gas
- Crowd Safety
- Electrical Safety
- Extreme Weather
- Fire Safety
- Food Vendors
- Marquees and Umbrellas
- Outdoor Cinemas
- Petting Zoos and Animals
- Public Liability Insurance
- Traffic Management
- Working with Children
Risk Form Template:
Low Impact Event Risk Form
Event Venues Site Maps:
King George V Memorial Gardens
Ovens Riverside Square
Approval timeframe for your permit
The scale of the event will determine how long may take to process and approve your application. Event organisers should lodge their event permit application with Council as early in the planning stages as possible. Minimum processing times for your application are as follows:
For more information, advice or to obtain a hard copy of the application forms, please contact the Rural City of Wangaratta events team via firstname.lastname@example.org or call (03) 5722 0888.