Understanding building permits

Building permits are needed to ensure a building structure is safe and compliant.

A building permit is different to a planning permit, though for some proposals you will need both. All buildings require a building permit.

What is Council's role?

Our role is to ensure compliance with the Building Act 1993. We process permits, issue enforcement orders and ensure buildings are safe.

Different types of permits and approvals

Building Permits

Building permits are needed for the majority of building activities, including but not limited to; new houses, alterations or extensions to existing buildings, sheds or garages, and swimming pools and spas.

Apply for a building permit with Council.

For further information on Building Permits, check out the VBA's page on permit essentials, or their fact-sheet on when Building Permits are required.

Occupancy Permits

Occupancy permits are documents that signify that a building surveyor is satisfied that the completed building work is suitable for occupation.

A building permit will specify whether you require either an occupancy permit or a certificate of final inspection prior to occupation of a building.

Building work for a new home (including units or apartments), or commercial premises will always require an occupancy permit to be issued. Where an occupancy permit is required, it is an offence to occupy a building until the occupancy permit has been granted.

Occupancy-Permit-Application-Form.pdf(PDF, 107KB)

Certificate of Final Inspection

A Certificate of Final Inspection is given upon completion of building works related to a Building Permit.

If a Certificate of Final Inspection is required this will be indicated on the Building Permit.

To arrange a final inspection please contact our Building Department on 03 5722 0888 or buildingmail@wangaratta.vic.gov.au. Please do this before your Building Permit expires.

POPE and Temporary Structures

If running an event it is likely you will need either a an Occupancy Permit for Places of Public Entertainment (POPE) or an Occupancy Permit for a Prescribed Temporary Structure (PTS). Depending on the nature of your event and the structures you are using, you may need both types of permits.

Find out more and apply

Report and Consent

You need to complete the Report and Consent process when work is planned that may affect community assets, infrastructure or the amenity of the area that may be compromised by the proposed building work.

Examples include:

  • Siting of a dwelling
  • Building over an easement
  • Building in a flood-prone area
  • Projections beyond street alignment
  • Building above or below public facilities
  • Precautions over street alignment
  • Installing or altering a septic tank system
  • Demolition of buildings

A Building Permit for any such work cannot be issued by your Building Surveyor until the Report and Consent process has been completed.

Prior to submitting an application for Report and Consent please discuss this with your Building Surveyor.

To request an application form for Report and Consent please contact the Building Department on 03 5722 0888 or buildingmail@wangaratta.vic.gov.au

Septic Tanks

If your property is not in a declared sewerage area and you are proposing to build a new dwelling you will be required to install an onsite wastewater disposal system (septic tank) to treat household wastewater. 

Find out more