Busking permit

If you wish to busk in the street, you will need a permit.

Whilst these activities can bring enjoyment to the community, they need to be assessed to ensure their impact is positive and that they complement other activities occurring at the same time.

Please ensure you familiarise yourselves with the conditions of the permit before you apply.

Our public liability insurance will cover not-for-profit, community groups and individuals as long as a valid permit is held. However if a claim needs to be made, you will need to pay the excess.


  • Businesses and for profit organisations: $16.30 per day
  • Not for profit, community groups & individuals: Free

Apply for a permit

Step 1.Gather your documents

To apply for a permit, you'll need the complete an Application for Busking Permit.(PDF, 94KB)

If you are a business or for profit organisation, you also need to supply a copy of your public liability certificate of currency to $10M.

Step 2.Submit your application

You can submit your application to us via:

  • Email: council@wangaratta.vic.gov.au
  • Post: PO Box 238 Wangaratta 3676
  • In person: Wangaratta Government Centre, 62 - 68 Ovens Street, Wangaratta

Step 3.Pay the registration fee

Once we have received your application, we will issue you with an invoice for the appropriate fee to cover the assessment of your application.

  • Amplification is not permitted
  • Percussion instruments such as drums should not be so loud as to cause a nuisance to members of the public