Parking, Permits and Local Laws

Parking, Permits and Local Laws

Council's Community Amenity Local Law (see below) covers a broad range of issues and activities, including: 

  • protection of Council land
  • street selling
  • footpath activities requiring a permit
  • fire hazards
  • open air burning and incinerators
  • garbage collection and recycling
  • busking and street entertainment
  • droving and movement of livestock
  • animal welfare
  • keeping of animals
  • wandering animals, and
  • placement of clothing bins

Local laws are enforced by the Police and Council to regulate activities that impact on the local amenity.  These include prohibition of the use of incinerators, banning the consumption of alcohol in public places, removal of abandoned vehicles and control of litter. Some activities governed by the Local Law require a permit. These include:

  • open air burning (Residential Zones only)
  • footpath Activities Permit (see below)
  • keeping of excess animals (see below)
  • consumption of alcohol
  • droving and grazing of stock (see below) and
  • busking
  • itinerant trading (see below)

Permits can be obtained from Customer Services at the Wangaratta Government Centre or by clicking on the links at the bottom of this page.


See below link for a copy of Council's LOCAL LAW NO.1 COMMUNITY AMENITY 



During the course of an enforcement matter, as authorised by legislation, a vehicle registration can be supplied to third parties, requesting the registrant's information to be shared with Council.

The personal  information collected  is used solely for the purpose of  issuing an infringement notice and any subsequent legal action. The personal information will be held securely and used solely for this purpose. Council may disclose this information to the Magistrate’s Court, Sheriff’s Office or its legal advisers, or other organisations where required by law.


Local Laws Policies on Exhibition

Notice is hereby given that the Rural City of Wangaratta, at its Ordinary Meeting of 15 December 2015, considered amendments to Community Amenity Local Law No. 1 - Local Laws Policies (referred to as Local Laws Policies).

The amended Local Laws Policies include explanation, conditions and restrictions relating to the Local Law No.1 of 2014 Community Amenity (Amendment) adopted by Council on 16 September 2014.

Many of the proposed changes are administrative and relate to a new format for the document. More significant changes relate to the following policies:

  • Itinerant Trading
  • Keeping Excess Numbers of Animals
  • Using Footpaths (footpath trading and advertising)
  • Conducting Exercise and/or Personal Training In Public Parks
  • Advertising vehicles for sale on Council managed roads, car park areas or municipal places
  • Cutting, collecting, gathering or storing firewood on a road, roadside, municipal place or Council Depot.

*Note the Community Amenity (Amendment) Local Law No. 1 - Local Laws of 2014 has not been amended and is not the subject of this exhibition and consultation process.

In accordance with Council’s Major Policy Consultation Local Law No. 4 of 2015, any person may make a submission on the proposed Local Law Polices. Submissions must be in writing, addressed to the Chief Executive Officer, PO Box 238, Wangaratta and must be received by the Council on or before Thursday, 28 April 2016.

A person making a submission may request to be heard in person in support of their submission.

Further details on the proposed Local Law Policies can be obtained by contacting Ms Chapman, Manager Environment and Community Safety, Wangaratta, Government Centre, 62-68 Ovens Street, Wangaratta (03) 5722 0888.

A copy of the Local Laws Policies are available for download at the bottom of the page.

Parking Enforcement in the Rural City of Wangaratta

Parking enforcement throughout the muncipality is managed to ensure the safety of pedestrians and the fair and equitable use of available car parking spaces.   School crossing supervision is provided by Council to enhance the safety of children to and from school.


Noisy/odorous/untidy neighbours and Enforcement

Noise complaints depend on the type of noise generated. If it is barking dogs then Council’s Enforcement team can survey surrounding owners to check the degree of nuisance. As a first step it is worth talking to the neighbour to explain the issues. A responsible dog owner will often attempt to correct the problem.

The Environmental Health Team deals with residential noise. Noise from commercial or industrial zoned areas can be reported to the EPA. In a residential area the Residential Noise Regulations list items and times when noise from their use is unreasonable, if they can be heard in a neighbour’s home. To determine if a noise is unreasonable, duration and intensity is taken into consideration. An approach to a neighbour may correct the issue.

The approach to an untidy site depends on the nature of the debris. If a yard has debris such as rubbish it can attract vermin and other pests and may also be odorous. Loose items can become windborne litter. Usually when a neighbour is asked to remove the debris they will assist in a timely fashion. Council’s Environmental Health Officers can be contacted for advice.

If the concern is long or unmaintained grass or lawns that pose a potential fire risk, Council’s Municipal Fire Prevention Officer will inspect the issue during the fire season only.



PDFFootpath Permit Conditions (146 KB)

PDFFootpath Activities Permit Application Form (192 KB)

PDFLivestock Grazing Application (79 KB)

PDFApplication for Excess Animal Permit (270 KB)

PDFItinerant Trading Application Form (218 KB)

PDFItinerant Trader Information (71 KB)

PDFLocal Law Policy Impact Statement (155 KB)

Last Updated: 28-09-2016

Send Us Your Feedback
Was this information useful?
Not Useful   Very Useful
  Please enter your email address.