Objectives of the Committee
- The primary objective of the Committee is to advise Council on the effective conduct of its responsibilities for strategic planning and management of Sport and Recreation opportunities in the Rural City of Wangaratta, providing support and advice.
- To provide advice to Council on strategic sport and recreation issues that impact upon the community.
- To provide information on how sport and recreation opportunities within the community may be promoted.
- To provide advice in the monitoring and review the Rural City of Wangaratta Sport and Recreation Plan and associated strategies.
- To encourage and facilitate communication and initiatives between sport and recreation user groups/clubs/individuals/stakeholders throughout the Rural City of Wangaratta.
- To ensure all sectors of the community within the Rural City of Wangaratta have the opportunity to provide input into the directions and issues considered by the Committee.
- To be proactive in initiating and/or supporting ‘cross municipal’ initiatives and projects.
- To broaden community access to sport and recreation through the attraction of significant events.
Functions of the Committee
- To establish special interest task forces and sub-committees on strategic matters (where appropriate) to carry out work on behalf of the committee. Such task forces and sub-committees shall be required to report findings to the Committee.
- To provide quality and timely advice, make recommendations or provide comment to Council on issues considered appropriate by the Committee or of matters referred by Council to the Committee.
- On behalf of the Rural City of Wangaratta, advocate for sport and recreation initiatives where appropriate.
- To advise on the preparation and delivery of submissions for sport and recreation initiatives, where appropriate.
- To inform, liaise with and seek input from appropriate businesses, stakeholders, relevant agencies and the community with regard to Sport and Recreation issues.
- To advise on attracting new active and passive sport and recreation opportunities to the Rural City of Wangaratta for all sectors of the community.
- To identify and recommend budget allocations for issues relating to sport and recreation to Council.
Sport & Recreation Advisory Committee Charter (189 KB)
Last Updated: 01-07-2013