Objectives of the Committee
- To provide advice and recommendation relating to the implementation of Council’s policies for naming places, roads, streets and other accessways and related work associated with commemorative plaques and other markers.
- To administer the application of the following Council policies :
- Place Naming Policy
- Policy for Naming Roads Streets and Other Accessways
- Commemorative Plaques and Other Markers
Functions of the Committee
- To establish principles to assess naming proposals
- Formulate a guideline to guide developers in suitable name types to propose in new subdivisions (consistent with Council Policy).
- Report on any proposals for locality changes.
- To generate a list of recommended place and road names relevant to particular districts that adhere to the principles for naming set out in Council policy.
- To consider the application of Council policy to place and road name requests from members of the community and recommend to Council changes as appropriate within Council policy.
- To periodically review the policies set out in 3
2.2 and recommend any necessary changes to Council.
- To establish special interest task forces and subcommittees (where appropriate) to carry out work on behalf of the Committee.
- To provide quality and timely advice, make recommendations or provide comment to Council on issues considered appropriate by the Committee of matters referred by Council to the Committee.
- To consider the relevance of requests for commemorative plaques and other markers to the associated place proposed for the plaque or marker.
- To ensure all sectors of the community within the Rural City of Wangaratta have the opportunity to provide input into the directions and issues considered by the Committee.
Place Naming Committee Charter (184 KB)
Last Updated: 01-07-2013